Friday, November 12, 2010

My first pettiskirt attempt

This is my first attempt at making a pettiskirt. I used dance nylon and some light weight netting for the ruffle/fluff. Netting is not the best option and certainly doesn't give the luxurious finish that nylon chiffon does but it was good for this practice piece. Of course things don't always go as first intentioned. What was supposed to be a skirt is now a dress. I didn't realise how small our little girl is until I tried the skirt up against her. It was way too big. (I should have been more careful with my measurements to start with.) So instead of trying to cut it down and re-sew the numerous ruffles, I added an elastic casing (to the back) and shoulder straps. The shoulder straps are made out of the nylon dance fabric and meet at the back. I then used an organza ribbon that matched the ruffle for the bow. She loves it and that is the main thing. I am looking forward to doing it all again.





Some of the things that I did - When making the pettiskirt I worked from the bottom up. I found it quite easy to sew the ruffle/fluff onto the 3rd tier before it was gathered. Then I gathered that and sewed it onto the 2nd tier before it was gathered. I then gathered the 2nd tier and added it to the waistband. I actually sewed it in 2 parts - So I made 2 separate skirts and then sewed them together by sewing around the waistbands (which of course became the bodice of this dress). When I sew my next one I will follow the same procedure but the tiers will be a lot shorted in order to fit our little princess.

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog! You make such gorgeous things!

    I love how it turned into a dress, it's beautiful! As is your daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I think it makes a beautiful dress :)

    ReplyDelete